Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Monday 1 April 2013

Illuminated Psalm 62 vs 8 ~ Step by Step Calligraphy


Hullo there everyone - this has been shown in parts before, but not all in one place. Thought would put it in one place for overall idea.
It is in part being showcased on the April Oriental Stamp Art (OSA) website in their monthly SAM , along with this OSA card, which is quite an honour! I am thankful to them for that. One of the two projects is calligraphy, which have been doing since teens. Here are of photos of the steps in the work. 

A small piece of Chinese calligraphy inserted below the text, executed by a Chinese calligrapher in China; it says "Sha-ron". My sister brought it back from China for me.)
Step 1: Once given the Bible verse to do (only work on commission) I work layout on scrap paper, working out where the word emphasis should be.
When doing a text, the meaning of words rule the design, not the other way around.
Calligraphy means "beautiful writing". 
 If you can't read writing easily, I think it is a work of art rather than true calligraphy. 
Step 2: Once have worked out layout, then design it on tracing paper. Tracing paper is used for a few reasons.
Primarily because the decoration takes fiddling. Good paper may be ruined with erasing, etc. as it takes away the tooth of the paper.
Secondly if asked to do it again, I have it to this stage already to lift out of my file. It saves a lot of time. It is not unusual to be asked again as have a portfolio, with discount for ones done before, because of time saved.
Step 3:
The large piece is inked in on good quality art paper ready for laying down of colours with Gouache paints, and some watercolours - see palette above. Step 4
Here all the painting finished and now working the building up of the gold leaf, layer by layer (about 5 to 10, it varies).
Step 5:
 Now it looks like some of red paint has bled but the glue size has red paint in it to see where have done it and it is dry in a few spots so it is red, mostly the pale pink bits are where the gold leaf will be.

Step 6: The final work is gilded with gold leaf (23 carat Gold leaf on tissue paper, is used. Gilding mix = PVA glue, water and paint). Re-inked with fine ink pen all over, for final touch up. A piece of work this size takes 50+ hours, from beginning to end.
Final two pictures show the completed work. I have done this text a number of times now and it is one of my great favourites - such precious words.

The verse is from Psalm 62 vs 8 "Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah." 
("Selah" ="Meditate" in Hebrew)
Praise God for His unfailing love and place of refuge in this troubled world.
Praise Him most of all for the gift of salvation found in His Son. 
Thank you for all who have come to view this work. I appreciate it. 
I pray this verse blesses your heart as it always does mine - in the LORD we find a place of Hope, Peace, and Refuge in time of storm.
God bless your day wherever you may be. Thanks so much for popping over for a peek and chat,

11 comments:

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

So lovely psalm,
have a nice day,
hugs Tamara

Di said...

Oh Shaz, what beautiful work. It must take you ages to achieve such a fabulous result.

Hugs, Di xx

Betsy said...

That is beautiful Shaz. I love the verse too. I jope you had a wonderful Resurrection Sunday.
Blessings,
Betsy

Karen Letchworth said...

Your art just AMAZES me! It really is "beautiful writing" and you did an incredibly wondreful job on this. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing in our challenges the talents and gifts God has given to you. We are grateful for your fellowship and so blessed to have you play along.
Have a blessed week!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Shaz
such beautiful work as usual, the illumination is fabulous
janet

Victoria said...

Words fail me. What a beautiful piece of artwork! Hope you had a blessed Easter.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Gorgeous piece- the gold leaf/gilding and painting- amazing!!!

Anne said...

This is stunningly beautiful! Your calligraphy just blows me away! Such a delight to behold! I simply adore your wonderful artwork! More of it please!

Spyder said...

This is Fabulous!!
Love it, clever you!!
((Lyn))

scrappymo! said...

What gorgeous works of art striaght from the heart! The detail is on how you create these beautiful pieces is amazing!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...